Catch up

I know I haven’t posted in a while again. It’s getting to be one of those things where I have so much going on I don’t know where to start 🙂

I have been working on my RackSpace application a bit. Well, enough to get it registered on Sourceforge. Not sure what else to do with it there yet as it’s my first time on Sourceforge with anything and I haven’t had a lot of time to investigate.

I have been playing with my New Ferrets. Cute little fuzzies, they are. Puff is absolutely full of energy all the time. I also think he *may* be deaf – or at least hard of hearing. Teddy is very lovie, however, he has taken to play biting your arm if you hold him long enough. He thinks it’s playing, but he occasionally draws blood. Those fuzzies have darn sharp teeth!

I have been working on my OpenServerMon program a bit lately. Again, this is more of a monitoring framework that takes advantage of the telnet command for tcp port checks and takes advantage of the great bash scripting language. It’s amazing what you can do with a few bash modules! I am so lucky to be able to work on this at work as well. That just means that I will actually have something more substantial (and tested/vetted) to offer here. It’s also monitoring my personal servers just fine so far.

Finally got all my hardware here at the homestead running that way it should. I recently replaced both my router and then my cable modem. Installed Ubuntu Intrepid on my wife’s laptop as she really needed a clean install. Just how *do* people get their systems crudded up like that? Anyhow, it looks like it runs really nice and I would like to do that same on my main systems, but no time yet.

I wrote some backup scripts that will help me get my backups automated. Of course I didn’t add them into cron yet because I am stupid and a glutton for punishment, but they are written and work. Here’s your friendly reminder to do YOUR backups before you lose all your important stuff like I will.

Had to run to Staples tooday to buy a labeler. $20, ya can’t beat it and it seems to do the job, although I haven’t had a lot of time to play with it yet. While I was there I picked up a Cyber Acoustics USB headset/microphone. I picked it up hoping that there would be some info somewhere that let me know if it worked with Linux. There wasn’t. I took the dive anyhow and opened it up to test and it appears to work just fine. Of course I thought this would be a great thing for the TechShow since everybody pisses about our audio, and mine always seems to be the worst. Of course, there were immediate complaints about how crappy I sounded while I was on the show using the headset, however, I *think* I may have that nailed down to the codec I was using by default. No time to test again tonight so it’ll have to be next time.

Lastly (for right now anyhow) I have been working on my timelogger program. It’s been a long time since I have touched it, but I have been using it literally for over a year every day. Basically it’s a project/time tracker program written, of course, in bash. I am such a command line junkie. It also uses sqlite, which is a nice little DB that I think I will wrap into some logging on the OpenServerMon. And that’s how I tie all this together.

OH, and I also have a book or two from my friends at APRESS to review. Stay tuned for that too!

Be Sociable, Share!

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.